As Thomas Jefferson once said, “I cannot live without books.” Really, I can’t. I read while I walk, while I practice piano, when I’m supposed to be listening in class, and I even used to read while riding my bike until my mom, fearing for my life, made me stop. When I was younger, I would often give up recess to visit the library or find a quiet tree to read beside. (My friends did it too, so I did not realize it was weird until much later.)
I also cannot live without writing and have always dreamed of becoming an author. I still have copies of the first “books” I attempted to write as a kindergartner. I keep six journals and don’t go a day without writing something, whether an essay, poem, prayer (usually the prayer precedes the essay…), short story, or a chapter in one of my novel attempts. If I did not write, my head and heart would explode!
That said, “words, words, words” might be the best quote to describe my life. Bonus points if you get the reference. If not, this blog might not be for you, but I hope you will read anyway.
Some other things about myself:
- I am introverted (hence the hiding at recess to read) but absolutely crazy when I feel comfortable. Seriously, if I like you, I might never shut up. #INTJ
- Music is another passion of mine and I play two instruments excellently (piano, organ), four fairly well (violin, guitar, ukulele, and voice), and a few others ‘experimentally,’ meaning not well at all but still use them to begin conversations or to end parties (bagpipes, mountain dulcimer, mixed percussion). I am currently an undergraduate piano performance major.
- I love lists. Read any handful of my posts and you’re sure to come across lists such as this one.
- I’m a Christian and a serious scholar; the two are not mutually exclusive…quite the opposite, in fact. My “faith” category exhibits some thoughts on Scripture and Christian living, speaking especially to my sisters in Christ.
- I am a “reluctant runner” in that it took me a long time to work up to being able to run due to health issues, but now I regret any day that passes without a nice run, preferably alongside a body of water.
- Baking!!! This blog features a “Recipes for Readers” section in which I attempt to excuse eating raw brownie batter as literary research. Definitely worth checking out.
- “Be a macaron in an Oreo world.” – personal motto and quote by yours truly
- Bonus stuff: I love sloths, fuzzy socks, the color purple, BBC’s Sherlock, vintage bicycles, dark chocolate, black coffee, flamingo-print clothing, and meat pies. (But sloths are at the top of this list…don’t ask me why.)